Nursing home planning is a process that should not be left until nursing home care is needed. Planning ahead in case you or a loved one needs nursing care is essential to maximizing the quality of life for a nursing home resident. It is also vital for protecting family members and assets of a person who needs care.
The Bond Law Firm can provide your family with advice on when nursing home planning is needed and on what your plan should entail. Give us a call at (218) 448-4100 to talk with a Houston nursing home planning lawyer about a personalized plan and to get answers to questions you have about the planning process including:
- What is involved in nursing home planning?
- What does a nursing home planning lawyer do?
- How can a Houston nursing home planning lawyer help?
What is Involved in Nursing Home Planning?
Nursing home planning involves making advanced plans to make sure nursing home care can be paid for and to make sure that the care provided is appropriate to maintain the highest quality of life for nursing home residents.
The choice to go into a nursing home can be a major one for a senior and his family. The costs of care are astronomical in a nursing home setting and there is an epidemic of elder abuse at nursing homes throughout the country. Even in this troubling environment, however, there are good nursing homes and there are ways to pay for them.
When nursing home care is the right choice for your family, The Bond Law Firm wants to help make sure that care is provided in the right place and that it does not cause the loss of a family fortune or legacy.
What Does a Nursing Home Planning Lawyer Do?
A nursing home planning lawyer works with you to find the right nursing home care setting to meet your own needs if you need care or to meet the needs of a disabled or elderly family member who can no longer live alone.
We also help you to make certain that you can get care costs paid for, while protecting the quality of life of both the nursing home resident and his or her spouse or other close family members. Some of the things a nursing home planning lawyer can assist with include:
- The use of Lady Bird deeds to protect real property in case a patient must go into a nursing home and pay for nursing home care costs.
- The use of partition agreements which can facilitate the transfer of community property belonging to a spouse who is going into a nursing home to a spouse who is remaining within the community.
- The use of a Miller trust which can make qualifying for Medicaid possible even with a higher income above the Medicaid eligibility cap. The creation of a Miller trust can be essential to ensure Medicaid can pay for nursing home care when Medicaid is the only source of payment, as is most often the case.
- The use of other Medicaid planning tools aimed at qualifying for Medicaid coverage of nursing home care. Medicare and private insurance rarely pay for nursing home care unless care is only briefly required to receive skilled medical services. The kind of routine care must people need is paid for only through long-term care insurance (which most people don’t have) or through Medicaid… provided you can qualify for Medicaid. The Bond Law Firm helps you make a plan to get qualified when you need care without losing your assets.
- Qualifying for veterans’ benefits, which can help you to defray costs of nursing home care or home care, or which can make it possible for you to get subsidized or free care in appropriate facilities.
- Research into nursing home care facilities so the right facility can be selected. Our legal team works with you to review nursing home admissions paperwork, complaints against the nursing home, and other information that can let you know what kind of care a home provides.
These are just some of the many steps a nursing home planning lawyer can assist you in taking as you make plans in case you or someone you love must seek care in a nursing home setting.
How can a Houston Nursing Home Planning Lawyer Help You?
The Bond Law Firm has helped many families to find the highest quality of nursing home care and to make sure that care can be paid for. Those who are disabled or who are getting older and who need nursing home care deserve to be treated with dignity and respect in an appropriate nursing home care setting. They, and their families, do not deserve to be left with lost assets and see a life savings gone in the blink of an eye. Our legal team helps to make certain that does not happen.
Call a Houston nursing home planning lawyer at The Bond Law Firm today at (218) 448-4100 or contact us online to talk with a compassionate and knowledgeable attorney who can guide you through the process of making your comprehensive nursing home plan.